yesterday pua turned 1!
happy birthday to pua bear! i can’t believe that our little puppy is 1 already. i would have loved to have a little birthday party for pua because i am totally that crazy dog lady, but i settled myself down and decided that chris and i could have a small celebration with just the 3 of us. i definitely wanted to make her some dog treats and was so excited that i found this recipe for apple and cheddar pupcakes (don’t you love that!) because cupcakes are the perfect dessert to celebrate birthdays with.
they are full of flavors that dogs like – apple and cheese. plus they are dog safe, which is definitely important. i also really liked that the recipe called for ingredients i usually have on hand anyway, like apples, cheese, flour, oats, honey, etc. pua absolutely loved her pupcake and she gobbled it right up.
i can’t wait to make all different kinds puppy treats so keep reading for some other fun dog friendly recipes. but in the meantime, if you’re celebrating your doggy’s birthday or if you just want a special treat for him or her, definitely whip up a batch of these apple and cheddar cupcakes.
start by combining the flour, oats, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl.
in another bowl, mix together the applesauce, oil, eggs, honey, and water.
now time for the stars of the show, the apple and cheese!
fold in the apples and cheese…
and pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry.
i think pua knew i was making something for her, so she came to check on the progress of her pupcakes.
the pupcake batter is ready.
scoop a bit of the batter into each cupcake lined cupcake cup. you’ll want to make sure that the cup is actually almost full.
bake at 400 degrees f for 15-20 minutes. my pupcakes took 18 minutes. allow the pupcakes to cool completely on a wire rack.
while the pupcakes cool, make the frosting. it’s just cream cheese with a little bit of honey.
mix until it’s nice and smooth.
once the pupcakes have cooled, spread some frosting on each one. then it’s time for your puppy to enjoy a delicious treat!
happy birthday pua!
if you have a small/medium size dog like pua, i would suggest breaking up the cupcake before giving it to your dog. pua found it a bit challenging to take bites of the whole cupcake.
Apple & Cheddar Pupcakes
adapted slightly from Browned Eyed Baker
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup traditional rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup applesauce
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and minced
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, oats, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the applesauce, water, oil, honey and eggs, then stir in the apple and cheese.
- Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir until just barely blended.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tins, filling almost full (you may have a couple spoonfuls of batter leftover).
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the tins for a few minutes and then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, combine the cream cheese and honey in a small bowl. Mix until smooth.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled completely, frost each with the cream cheese frosting.
- Store pupcakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Printer Friendly Recipe: Apple and Cheddar Pupcakes