i know i often make some complicated desserts, especially cupcakes with a crust, filling, frosting, decoration, etc. and a lot of it is made from scratch. but not everyone has time for that. i know, i get it. so i wanted to come up with a dessert that looked like you took some time to make it but was really easy to make.
i had been seeing a lot of s’mores brownie recipes on pinterest but they were all made in a 9 x 13 pan. cutting marshmallows just doesn’t seem like a good idea to me – all of the gooey marshmallow will not end up pretty. so what was my solution? make them into little individual servings using cupcake cups. this not only makes them easier to serve but also totally cute!
these s’mores brownie cupcakes have a graham cracker crust, with the perfect amount of chocolatey brownie and is topped with toasted mini marshmallows. all of the components of a s’more packed in a brownie cupcake. in just a few simple steps you too can make this decadent treat, great for summer bbqs and potlucks.
the brownies start with the graham crust. just mix the melted butter, graham cracker crumbs (you can buy this in the store, no need to take the time/effort to make your own), and sugar. set it aside.
then grab a family size box of brownies. any brand will do. i just got the one that was on sale.
follow the directions on the box to make the brownie batter.
now to assemble the s’mores brownie cupcakes. spoon about a tablespoon of the graham cracker crust mixture into each lined cupcake cup and use a pastry tamper (or your fingers/spoon/etc.) to press the crust down.
divide the batter among the 24 cupcake cups.
bake at 350 degrees f for 15-20 minutes.
next turn your oven dial to broil. sprinkle a handful of mini marshmallows onto each brownie.
place the pan of s’mores brownies under the broiler for just a minute or two. keep your eye on them to ensure the marshmallows don’t brown. also remember that they continue to brown slightly even after you take them out of the oven.
allow the brownies to cool and they are ready to serve. see, this is totally doable!
now run to the grocery store and get yourself some graham cracker crumbs, brownie mix, and mini marshmallows and you are ready make some of your own s’mores brownie cupcakes! ready, set, go!
p.s. i’ve also made s’mores cupcakes, everything from scratch. so if you want to make something more complicated definitely check it out!
S’mores Brownie Cupcakes
by Miki with some help from NabiscoWorld.com
- 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 box family size brownie mix, plus ingredients called for on the brownie mix box
- 1 bag mini marshmallows (you won’t need all of it)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 cupcake cups with liners.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, mix the brownie batter according to the instructions on the box.
- Spoon about a tablespoon of the crust mixture into each cupcake cup. Using a pastry tamper or your fingers or a spoon, press the mixture down to form an even crust.
- Divide the brownie batter among the 24 cups.
- Bake the brownies for 15-20 minutes until the brownies are set and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Set your oven to boil.
- Sprinkle a handful of mini marshmallows on each brownie.
- Place the brownies under the broiler for just a minute or 2. Be sure to watch the marshmallows carefully to ensure they do not burn. Also keep in mind, the marshmallows will continue to brown even after you take them out of the oven.
- Allow the brownies to cool. Serve.
Printer Friendly Recipe: S’mores Brownie Cupcakes