birthdays are so much fun, don’t you think? i remember having the best birthday parties with yummy cake, super fun games, and amazing friends. nowadays i don’t do much for my birthday – chris and i usually go out to dinner and then we have dinner or happy hour with friends. but it is always nice to have a good excuse to see some of my favs and celebrate.
i love that even oreo has embraced the wonderful joy of birthdays and created these birthday cake oreos. they are just the cutest – i especially like the sprinkles in the filling. so much fun! when i saw these beauties at the grocery store, i knew i had to make a cupcake with them.
and this is how the birthday cake oreo cupcake was born. there is half an oreo on the bottom of a funfetti cupcake with chunks of birthday cake oreo mixed it. then it is topped with cream cheese frosting and decorated with half an oreo and of course sprinkles!
they taste very similar to the golden oreo cupcakes i made a while ago, but the sprinkles make them super fun. p.s. visit the link for more tips on how to cleanly split oreos in half and how to make the best cream cheese frosting.
next time you need to make a dessert for someone’s birthday, i definitely think you should whip some of these up. they will add tons of fun and deliciousness to the festivities!
start by splitting the birthday cake oreos in half leaving the cream on one of the cookies. place the oreo with cream on the bottom of the cupcake cup. set the cream-less cookie on the side.
repeat until each cupcake cup has an oreo half in it. then mix up the funfetti cupcake batter.
now chop up the cream-less cookies and a few whole oreos and add them to the cake batter.
next, divide the batter among the cupcake cups.
then bake according to the instructions on the funfetti cake mix.
allow the cupcakes to cool completely. in the meantime, make the cream cheese frosting. cream cheese frosting is my favorite. frost each cupcake – i used a large open star tip to frost these.
decorate each cupcake with half an oreo. i find that it is best to use a serrated knife and a sawing motion to cut the oreos. otherwise they tend to break and not look as pretty.
finally, sprinkle the cupcakes with sprinkles. yay for rainbow sprinkles!
time to enjoy!
nom nom nom
Birthday Cake Oreo Cupcake
adapted from Annie’s Eats
- 1 box Funfetti cake mix, plus ingredients called for on the box
- 30 Birthday Cake Oreo halves, with cream filling attached
- 20 Birthday Cake Oreos, quartered (I just used the cream-less half of the Oreos used for the bottom, plus 5 whole Oreos)
- 12 oz. cream cheese
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 350˚ F.
- Line the wells of a few cupcake pans with 30 paper liners. Place half a Birthday Cake Oreo (the cookie with the cream on it) in the bottom of each liner, cream side up.
- Prepare cake batter as instructed on the cake mix box.
- Fold in chopped Oreos.
- Evenly divide the batter between the prepared cupcake liners.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pans 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, combine the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium-high speed until smooth, about 2-3 minutes.
- Blend in the vanilla extract.
- Beat in the confectioners’ sugar until incorporated and smooth, 1-2 minutes. Then increase the speed to medium-high and whip for 4 minutes until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes as desired.
- Garnish with half a Birthday Cake Oreo and rainbow sprinkles.
Printer Friendly Recipe: Birthday Cake Oreo Cupcakes