so remember how i made a big ol’ batch of slow cooker black beans not too long ago? well one of the reasons i made some beans was because i wanted to try out these black bean cakes that my coworker told me about.
she found the recipe in cooking light and absolutely loved it. i love cooking light so i knew it was going to be good. she actually told me about the recipe a while ago, but finally this past weekend i got a chance to make some. the bean cakes are full of flavor with cumin, cilantro, and green onion and a big plus is that they are nice and healthy for you, packed with lots of protein. served over a bunch of field greens (plus some condiments like avocado, sour cream, and salad) and you’ve got a delicious, healthful meal ready to go.
i planned on having them for lunch this week but we had some other leftovers that i needed to get through first. but today i have them waiting for me in the fridge and i can’t wait to eat them.
first, add the beans, a little oil, egg, cilantro, and green onions to the bowl of a food processor.
pulse until the mixture combined and the beans turn into the roughly chopped paste (paste, yum).
then add the garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin.
along with the panko breadcrumbs.
mix it all together and the bean mixture will tighten up a bit.
pour a bit of panko into a bowl or plate. form 1/4 cup patties of the bean mixture and coat the patties in the panko. i didn’t end up taking pictures of this process because it was quite messy.
but here are the cakes ready to be fried up.
heat some oil in a large sautepan. cook the cakes for 2-3 minutes on one side…
flip them over…
and be sure to not to be like me and get distracted by your absolutely adorable puppy and allow one side to cook a bit too long and end up more toasted than you would like.
then serve it up with some salsa or sour cream or avocado or all three!
Black Bean Cakes
adapted from Cooking Light
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup panko, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Place 1 tablespoon canola oil, 1 egg, cilantro, green onions and beans in a food processor. Pulse 20 times or until mixture becomes a coarsely chopped paste.
- Combine bean mixture with 5 tablespoons panko, cumin, salt, pepper, and farlic.
- Place 3 tablespoons panko in a dish. Shape bean mixture into 1/4 cup cakes; dredge in panko.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon canola oil.
- Add patties; cook 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from pan.
- Serve warm over a bed of lettuce with salsa, sour cream, and/or avocado on the side.
Printer Friendly Recipe: Black Bean Cakes