i cannot tell you just how much i love the olympics. from the opening ceremony to all of the games (especially gymnastics, swimming, and driving). i love it all!
so it was super duper excited when the letters and sciences spirit committee decided to organize an olympics celebration in our office. everyone dressed up in usa colors and played wii, enjoying some snacks and sweets, and more. it was awesome. we have the best office ever!
when i was trying to figure out what kind of cupcakes to make, i had a hard time figuring it out. i recently made peanut butter cookie chocolate cupcakes (recipe coming soon!) so i knew i didn’t want to make a chocolate cupcake. since cheesecake cupcakes (strawberry, caramel apple, lime) are usually a hit, i decided to make blueberry cheesecake cupcakes using some blueberries that i bought at the umd farmers market.
this is a white cupcake with a graham cracker crust, filled with fresh blueberry filling, topped with cream cheese frosting. it was pretty darn good if i do say so myself. for the cupcake toppers, i found an awesome free printable online. i just printed it on cardstock, cut them out, and taped a toothpick on to each one. super easy! i love all of the different designs.
i’ve made cheesecake cupcakes a few times before, so i’m sure you guys know the drill, but just in case… here it is again. first start off by making the blueberry filling. just combine frozen or fresh blueberries, lemon juice, sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan.
while the blueberry filling is chilling (hey that rhymes! haha), make the white cupcakes with the graham cracker crust. i just used cake mix but you could use your favorite white cake recipe instead. next, fill each cupcake with the blueberry filling.
repeat until all the cupcakes are filled with blueberries.
finally, frost the cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.
if you want to make them extra special and turn them into olympics cupcakes – top each cupcake with an olympics cupcake topper. yay, they’re done!!!
Blueberry Cheesecake Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups frozen or fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 box white cake mix plus ingredients called for on the box
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 12 oz. cream cheese
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- To make the blueberry filling, in a small sauce pan, combined all of the ingredients and bring to a boil over medium-high heat; set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- To make graham crust, mix all crust ingredients until well blended. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the crust mixture into each cupcake cup. Press with a pastry tamper.
- Bake for 3-5 minutes.
- Prepare and bake cupcakes as directed on the box.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely.
- Using the cone method, use a small paring knife to cut a cone out of the center of each cupcake.
- Add some filling to the cupcake and replace the top portion of the cone, slicing off the tip to leave room for the filling.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the cream cheese and butter on medium-high speed until well combined and smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Gradually beat in the confectioners’ sugar until totally incorporated, increase the speed and then beat until smooth.
- Pipe frosting on to cupcakes as desired.
Printer Friendly Recipe: Blueberry Cheesecake Cupcakes