one sunday, i was trying to figure out what i could make to bring to work for breakfast. looking around the kitchen i found a couple super ripe bananas, but i didn’t really know what to do with them. finally after a bit of thinking i came up with the idea to make baked oatmeal with the bananas. perfect!
i started off using the recipe for the apple cinnamon baked oatmeal that i made a while ago. but of course instead of apples, i used the bananas. then adjusted a couple of the ingredients, for example using a smidge less cinnamon. while it was baking, it filled the kitchen up with the lovely scent of banana bread. i knew this was a good sign and then once it was done and i took a taste, i was so excited that it tasted just like banana bread too.
but the best part is… it’s healthy and it’s easy to make! so it’s totally okay to have some of this “banana bread” for breakfast. full of lots of healthy oats, some protein from the nuts and some fruit from the bananas and applesauce. win! i’ve already made this banana nut baked oatmeal twice and chris loves it too. yay!!!!!
let’s get started. mix the dry ingredients in one bowl and then the wet ingredients in another. then pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry and mix it all together.
pour it into a 8×8 baking pan and sprinkle the reserved walnuts over the oatmeal.
bake it for about 25 minutes at 350 degrees F.
and it’s all done! we keep the baked oatmeal in the fridge and eat it throughout the week heating it up in the microwave. it’s a great easy and filling breakfast. hope you like it too!!!
Banana Nut Baked Oatmeal
adapted from Two Peas and their Pod
- 2 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water (or skim milk)
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-3 bananas, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped and divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8 by 8 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together bananas, water or milk, applesauce, butter, egg, and vanilla.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir until combined. Gently stir in 1/2 cup of the walnuts. Pour oatmeal mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of walnuts over the oatmeal.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until oatmeal is golden brown and set.
- Remove from oven and serve warm.
Printer Friendly Recipe: Banana Nut Baked Oatmeal