tonight i made granola bars for breakfast and snacks for the rest of the week. i found a recipe online and it seemed easy enough but i did make a bunch of changes.
they just got out of the oven and we tried them out. they taste really good, but the chocolate chips got smushed all over the place since you have to press it down so the granola bars aren’t as pretty as i would have hoped. but that’s okay because it’ll be a good, healthy breakfast for us.
adapted from allrecipes.com
- 4 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup of rice krispies
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease (or line with parchment paper) one 9×13 inch pan.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the oats, flour, baking soda, vanilla, butter or margarine, honey and brown sugar.
- Stir in chocolate chips and rice krispies
- Lightly press mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Half way through baking, press down the bars to make sure they are compact.
- Let cool for 10 minutes then cut into bars. Let bars cool completely in pan before removing or serving.