with a few trips coming up that we need to save up for, my boyfriend and i decided that september would be our money saving month. making your own bread is definitely a money saver. so i decided to try to make some whole wheat hamburger buns. it was actually easy to make and turned out really good. they were much better than store bought buns.
that night we made cheeseburgers to try out the hamburger buns. delicious.
Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns
adapted from food.com
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons of melted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons yeast
- In the mixing bowl, combine yeast and water. Allow yeast to dissolve. Add sugar. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Mix and knead with kitchenaid (dough hook) for 5 minutes.
- Turn out dough onto a floured countertop. Gently roll and shape the dough into a 12-inch rope.
- With a sharp knife, divide dough into 8 pieces.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll pieces of dough into balls and flatten. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Cover and let rise in warm oven 15 to 20 minutes until almost doubled.
- Preheat oven to 400°F Bake 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool on racks. When ready to use, split buns horizontally.